Shop book and Jen Kingwell Notions
Join in for community sew and tell: https://www.facebook.com/events/1146281102897975?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22surface%22%3A%22page%22%7D]%7D
Completing your quilt top
General Supply Info:
- I use wool pressing mat, cordless iron and fabric starch
- Schmetz universal chrome needles or quilting piecing needles 75/11
- Aurifil 40 wt Mako Cotton thread, is what I sew with, I typically always use white thread.
- Clover Clips
- Sewing Pins
- Design Wall or extra piece of batting
Filler Block information can be found in each section of the quilt assembly with measurements and block instructions for each of the checker filler blocks.
It’s time to assemble your Long Time Gone quilt and show off your creation. Remember to sew at your own pace and bring it in to show us or send a photo!
Lately with this quilt I have been feeling better done that prefect as it has been my big project quilt for 2022. For me the 16 pineapple blocks slowed me down with having to learn a new piecing skill, and I ended up taking a break at the time to work on filler blocks.
I may not have a photo of my completed quilt at the time this blog post goes live, but the completed quilt top will be hanging in sew jersey east hanover for a little while as show and tell.
Some “issues” I ran into when piecing my quilt top sections where that some of my blocks ended up being smaller than needed, to fix this issue I added two extra rows of my grey sashing fabric to make the quilt top fit. I also ended up increasing the size of the boarders to be 2 inches instead and chose to added an two extras row all around to increase the size of the quilt. Because I have a queen size bed I do like larger quilts this one is written to finish as approximately a 68 inch square. By added extra rows and increasing the size of my boarder strips I am able to increase this quilt in size by a little bit without it looking funky. This quilt will be used as a throw on my sofa or on my daughters twin bed eventually. In the end I had 5 rows of scrappy style boarders, which made my quilt top finish at close to 78 by 78. Piano style boarders could also be fun to do instead!
Can’t wait to see everyone’s completed